- We believe the Holy Bible is truth without any error, given by inspiration of God, kept through the preservation of God, and that the Scriptures are available and accessible today through faithful and tried translations of the Greek Received Text and Hebrew Masoretic Text. We use the King James Version in our ministry.
- We believe there is only one living and true God who is inexpressibly glorious in his holiness, and that the Triune Godhead is in fact three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and we believe as Scripture states, “these three are one.”
- We believe Jesus Christ is God incarnate, was born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He rose bodily from the grave victorious over death, sin, and the devil. We believe He will catch away His saints before the Tribulation Period, and that He will return to set up His kingdom on earth at the end of the Tribulation Period.
- We believe the Holy Spirit is a divine person, coequal with God the Father and God the Son. We believe God the Spirit was active in creation, and is today active in restraining the Evil One, and that the Holy Spirit convicts, saves, seals, guides, and sanctifies all who trust Christ as Savior.
- We believe Satan is a real person who through pride rebelled against God and is the malignant prince of the power of the air. He is the enemy of God, the accuser of the saints, and the author of all false belief systems.
- We believe in the Genesis account of Creation in six literal days, and that man was created in the image of God and was given dominion over the earth.
- We believe man was created in innocence, but by voluntary transgression fell from his sinless and happy state. In consequence, all men are sinners by choice and are under just condemnation.
- We believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ through Mary. We believe that Jesus is “God manifest in the flesh,” and that He is both the Son of God and God the Son.
- We believe in Christ’s atonement for sin, as He voluntarily substituted Himself in the sinner’s place, bore their penalty upon the cross, the just dying for the unjust, and became our suitable, all-sufficient Savior.
- We believe that by God’s grace, salvation has been made available to all people everywhere through the death of Jesus Christ. All who believe and trust in Christ as Savior alone are cleansed from their sins and are made the children of God with a home in heaven.
- We believe the church was founded by Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry and that it is an assembly composed of baptized believers covenanted together for fellowship, observing of the ordinances, the proclamation of the Word of God, and the carrying of the gospel message to the ends of the earth.
- We believe that baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper are the two ordinances given to the church by Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the eternal security of all believers, and that their future estate is based on Christ’s ability to keep them secure rather than on their own goodness.
- We believe there is a radical difference between the righteous and the wicked. All who continue in impenitence and unbelief will face certain judgment before God and eternal condemnation.
- We believe civil government is of divine appointment for the interests and good order of society. Public officials are to be prayed for, honored and obeyed except in things contrary to the Word of God and the will of our Savior, the only Lord of the conscience.
- We believe in the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, when prior to the Tribulation Period He will come to rapture his saints out of the world. Seven years later, He will return to set up His kingdom on earth.
- We believe our Lord commissioned the New Testament church to go into all the world to “make disciples” from all people groups.
- We believe God’s method of financing his earthly work is through the tithes and offerings of his people freely given without compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
A fuller, more detailed Statement of Faith is available upon request.
Our Philosophy of Ministry :
The ministry of Commonwealth is driven by what we believe, and by the things we hold dear based on our understanding of God’s Word. Our philosophy of ministry (the way we do things and the things we do) is expressed in God’s purpose, mission, core values, and vision for our church.
Our Purpose : Our church exists for the purpose of glorifying God in everything we say and do, as expressed in our Lord’s Great Commission and Great Commandment.
Our Mission : Our mission is to make disciples from among all people groups in our community, our city and our world, to baptize those disciples upon their profession of faith, and to teach them all things which God has commanded in His Word.
Our Vision : Our vision is to become a congregation of people growing in Christlikeness, and willingly serving in ministry to others.
We believe that every born-again member of the body of Christ is gifted by God to fulfill some role or function within the congregation.
We also believe the pastor/teacher has been given to the church to help train and prepare God’s people to participate in the work of the ministry.
It is our goal to help believers identify their spiritual gifts, develop them, and use them in the ministry of the church.